List of largest suburbs by population
This article possibly contains original research. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Largest suburbs worldwide (excluding mainland China)
The following is a table of the largest incorporated suburbs worldwide, with over 700,000 people.
A suburb here is defined as subordinate to a central city from a business or infrastructure sense, and it may or may not have more population than the central city due to arbitrary municipal definitions.
Excluded are transborder agglomerations. In the Pop date column, C stands for census, P for provisional result, E for estimate. Although the list is ordered by population for ease of reference, the figures are not comparable with each other due to differing dates and lack of updates by respective countries.
- Cities in mainland China are often defined as prefectures or counties, for the sake of simplicity they are listed in a separate list as explained in the respective section.
- A similar scenario applies to Taichung, Taoyuan, New Taipei, Tainan and Kaohsiung in Taiwan after they merged with their respective surrounding suburb counties in December 2010, thus becoming direct-controlled municipalities.
- City of Pretoria in South Africa is exceedingly large at 6,298 km2, and as a national capital, hard to determine which is the core and suburb between Johannesburg and the capital. Therefore, it is excluded here.
- Malaysia has multiple types of local government, which confusingly overlap as the system was partially but not completely overhauled.
- Local data is woefully outdated for many of the poorest nations.
Suburbs in the People's Republic of China
This article is written in the style of a debate rather than an encyclopedic summary.August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)(
This article needs attention from an expert on the subject.August 2014)(
Cities in the People's Republic of China and Republic of China are often defined in way as prefectures/counties. Their prefecture/county limits often are physically more extensive than entire metropolitan areas, encompassing large rural areas and outright separate cities. "Suburbs" may be located both within the municipality and/or adjacent to it, depending on how the area agglomerated. Some urban districts, as in the case of Wanzhou Urban District in Chongqing Municipality (Province Level), are separated by farmlands from the core metropolitan area and functions as a suburban city in spite of naming.
As to what constitutes a "city" in the PRC, there exist other definitions of city limits are in actual usage, such as combination of several districts where urban area of the central city is dominant, or roads, railways, natural boundaries, or a combination thereof. This is commonly designated by the central statistics bureaus as "urban districts", however some counties are also included, as well as some cities opt for towns rather than counties. Some counties/districts (e.g. Handan County, Handan City(Prefecture level)) are indeed suburbs of their respective central cities (e.g. Congtai, Hanshan, Fuxing districts of Handan City(Prefecture level) are a common definition of true urban area of Handan, although this definition now often also involves Handan County as the city expands).
In the case of Chaoshan Metropolitan Area, Jieyang (Prefecture-level city) urban districts border that of the central city of Shantou (Prefecture-level city), effectively spanning neighboring municipalities. Complicating the matter is the nesting of city structures, as Jieyang municipality itself is a suburb of Shantou, even though Puning city (County level city, and can be a suburb of Shantou) lies within Jieyang's jurisdiction.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (May 2014)
|Rank||City||Population||Pop date||Type||Includes||Metropolitan area||Province/province-level municipality|
|1||Puning||2,054,703||2010C||County-level city within Jieyang||entire city (县级市)||Greater Chaoshan||Guangdong|
|2||Jieyang||1,899,394||2010C||adjacent Prefecture-level city||urban districts (市辖区)||Greater Chaoshan||Guangdong|
|3||Huilai County||1,097,615||2010C||County within Jieyang||entire county (县)||Greater Chaoshan||Guangdong|
|4||Wanzhou District||859,662||2010C||non contiguous urban district||single district (市辖区)||Greater Chongqing||Chongqing|
|5||Changshu City||929,124||2010C||County-level city within Suzhou||Entire city (县级市)||Greater Suzhou||Jiangsu|
- "Taiwan: Administrative Division (Counties, Cities, Townships and Districts) - Population Statistics, Charts and Map". citypopulation.de.
- 横浜市統計ポータルサイト 人口 大都市推計人口（平成３０年６月１日現在）. www.city.yokohama.lg.jp.
- "South Africa: Administrative Division (Provinces and Municipalities) - Population Statistics, Charts and Map". www.citypopulation.de.
- "South Korea: Administrative Division (Provinces, Counties, Cities and City Districts) - Population Statistics, Charts and Map". www.citypopulation.de.
- https://jabar.bps.go.id/linkTableDinamis/view/id/12 Jumlah Penduduk dan Jenis Kelamin Menurut Kabupaten/Kota di Provinsi Jawa Barat, 2015
- "Argentina: Administrative Division (Provinces, Departments and Partidos) - Population Statistics, Charts and Map". citypopulation.de.
- "BPS Provinsi Banten". banten.bps.go.id.
- "Sudan: States, Major Cities, Towns & Agglomeration - Population Statistics in Maps and Charts". www.citypopulation.de.
- "Inicio". www.conapo.gob.mx.
- "Mozambique: Administrative Division (Provinces and Districts) - Population Statistics, Charts and Map". citypopulation.de.
- "Iran: Major Cities - Population Statistics in Maps and Charts". www.citypopulation.de.
- Reporter, Staff. "Over 1 million reside in Sharjah: Census". www.khaleejtimes.com.
- "Peru: Administrative Division (Regions and Provinces) - Population Statistics, Charts and Map". www.citypopulation.de.
- "Bolivia: Municipal Division (Provinces and Municipalities) - Population Statistics, Charts and Map". citypopulation.de.
- "Kuwait: Governorates & Major Cities - Population Statistics, Maps, Charts, Weather and Web Information". citypopulation.de.
- "Dominican Republic: Municipal Division (Municipalities and Municipal Districts) - Population Statistics, Charts and Map". www.citypopulation.de.
- "Morocco: Regions, Major Cities, Urban Communes & Urban Centers - Population Statistics in Maps and Charts". citypopulation.de.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-02-05. Retrieved 2013-06-19.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Vietnam: Provinces, Major Cities, Towns & Urban Communes - Population Statistics, Maps, Charts, Weather and Web Information". citypopulation.de.
- "Canada: Ontario (Regional and Municipal Units) - Population Statistics, Charts and Map". citypopulation.de.
- Canada, Government of Canada, Statistics. "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada and census subdivisions (municipalities), 2011 and 2006 censuses". www12.statcan.gc.ca.
- "Chongqing (China): Municipal Province, Cities & Counties - Population Statistics, Maps, Charts, Weather and Web Information". citypopulation.de.
- "Jiangsu (China): Prefectural Division, Major Cities & Counties - Population Statistics, Maps, Charts, Weather and Web Information". citypopulation.de.